Partha P Majumder

Partha P Majumder

Director, National Institute of Biomedical Genomics, Netaji Subhas Sanitorium,
Kalyani 741 251

Partha P Majumder, National Institute of Biomedical Genomics, Kolkata, is an elected Fellow of all the three science academies of India. His major scientific interests and contributions are in the field of human population genetics and genetics of complex human disorders. He is a recipient of many awards and medals, including the TWAS Biology Prize and G.D. Birla Award for Scientific Research, among several others.

Session 2C - Symposium “Our Second Genome”

An overview of our second genome View Presentation

Only about 10% of cells associated with a human body are human cells; the remaining 90% are cells of microorganisms. In 2001, Joshua Lederberg coined the term microbiome to “signify the ecological community of commensal, symbiotic, and pathogenic microorganisms that literally share our body space and have been all but ignored as determinants of health and disease”. The human microbiome contributes to our health and well-being, and causes disease. In recent years, considerable understanding has emerged on the nature and extent of human microbiome diversity. The understanding of the relationship of “our second genome” with that of our own genome is just beginning to emerge. This Symposium will focus on some recent advances.

© 2016 Indian Academy of Sciences, Bengaluru.